|740.04 Thermoplastic Pavement Marking|
Item 740.04 C&MS, Thermoplastic Pavement markings and NTPEP selected thermoplastic markings.
For glass beads, see 740.09.C
For 740.04: Thermoplastic material (extruded type only)
If a primer as defined in 644.04 is required it shall be of the type recommended by the manufacturer. Evaluate the primer meets manufacturer's recommendations. If no recommendations are available, do not allow the thermoplastic material to be applied.
2. Sampling and/or Inspection Requirements:
Materials intended for the Project or Purchase Order shall be inspected upon delivery.
All thermoplastic marking material must be on the approved list on the Office of Materials Managements internet site: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/ConstructionMgt/Materials/Pages/default.aspx.
Container markings shall be clearly legible, marked by stencil or stamp to indicate the weight, specification number, color, batch number, code number, with manufacturer's name and location. Markings missing, altered or placed by hand shall be cause for rejection. (Field) Containers shall be made of material which does not contaminate the contents, and shall protect the contents from environmental contamination. Damaged containers shall be rejected. (Field)
Block or bagged material shall, from visual examination, be uniform in texture and color. Materials not meeting inspection requirements shall be rejected. (Field)
Material is shipped with a TE-24. If the material fulfills the requirements it may be used immediately. If the material does not fulfill the requirements then it shall be rejected.
Materials delivered without a proper TE-24 will mean the materials are unidentifiable and are to be sampled conforming to Supplement 1089 procedures, including number of samples and documentation. Approval of unidentifiable materials will be based on Laboratory testing of field samples submitted for each batch of traffic marking materials.
Thermoplastic Pavement Marking Procedure
1. Check the Approved List to see the Thermoplastic material to be sampled is listed on the Approved List
2. Have the contractor load the application equipment.
3. Put on leather protective work gloves and eye protection.
a. Remember the material is heated to 400 degrees F when extruded so be careful when sampling
4. Place a disposable aluminum roasting pan [about 14" x 10" x 2 1/2"]under the extruder and fill the pan 1" deep.
a. Remove the pan. REMEMBER IT IS HOT!
b. Allow the pan and material to cool.
5. Take a second sample following the above procedure.
6. Tape a TE-31 tag on the pan with the following information;
Thermoplastic brand name and manufacturer’s ID [see the Approved List]
Thermoplastic batch number
Date of manufacture
ODOT Sample number
7. Immediately ship one sample to Central Laboratory, Chemical Section.
8. Give the other sample to the contractor.
3. Methods of Test:
NTPEP Laboratory Evaluations,
AASHTO M 249.