Supplemental Specification 898
Mix Design - To be proportioned by the
contractor according to SS898.05. The design strength to be according to ACI 301.
Limitations and performance requirements are in SS898.05.
3. Sampling and/or Inspection
- Provide a mix design, tested by an AASHTO
accredited lab that meets the requirements of SS 898.05 at least 10 days prior to
- Submit a Quality Control Plan at least 10
days prior to placement.
- Test air and slump the first 3 loads; then
every 5th load once mix is consistent. Sample from point of discharge
- Make strength and permeability samples for
each 50 yd3 sublot, and field strength samples when needed.
- Have the cylinders tested by an certified
lab and report results
- Engineer to determine if the mix proposed
for use meets the requirements of the plans and if a JMF number is associated with the mix
design provided by the contractor. If a JMF does not exist, submit the mix design to OMM -
Cement & Concrete Section for approval.
- Review the Quality Control Plan for
- Test one of the first 3 loads tested by
the contractor for air and slump and compare with results obtained by the contractor to
insure that they are within specification limits, 898.11.
- Make 4 concrete cylinders from the same
load as one QC sample for every 10 QC samples taken by the contractor.
- Enter Samples in CMS. (For instruction
- Evaluate QC results, compare QA results
with each other and the corresponding QC results for conformance to 898.11.
- Determine pay factor.
4. Method of Test:
ASTM C 31, 39, 143, 172, 173, 231 and AASHTO
T277 (modified, 898.05)