PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE RECOMMENDATIONS (DECKS)
- Sweep (power broom) and flush with water (preferably power wash) at least once each year in the spring, after last use of deicer chemicals or grits for the season. This action is usually only necessary in the gutter areas (beyond the white edge lines).
- Seal the entire deck surface with an ODOT- approved silane or siloxane (once every 5 years).
- If the deck has obvious transverse cracks in the surface, the crack areas can be areas can be flooded with an ODOT- approved high molecular weight methacrylate (HMWM), or a gravity fed resin or a silicate solution.
- If deck is ponding water due to a low spot (usually in the gutter area), consider grinding a small trough into the concrete surface to allow water to drain to the nearest scupper; or place a "skin patch" in the low area using a specialty patching product or an epoxy "broom and seed".
- If the deck has obvious delaminations, potholes, scaling, etc., see Repair Section of this Manual.
- Remove loose spalls over lanes of traffic.
- The recommendations for preventive maintenance are the same as mentioned above for concrete decks.
Asphalt Concrete Overlays:
- Cracks in the asphalt should be sealed with a flexible asphalt sealer (ASTM D3405).
- As asphalt begins to weather or the surface ravels on low volume roads (5,000 vehicles per day or less), the surface can be chip and sealed. On higher volume roads, the surface can be milled and filled (1" minimum) with new asphalt concrete. Proprietary slurry seals can also be utilized.