An Official Site
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

Survivor Benefits Page Banner


 Required Documents and Information


In order to make the process of applying for survivor benefits go more smoothly, we recommend that you have on hand the following information:

  • Social Security number of the Deceased Employee
  • Fiduciary Letter (obtained from the Attorney probating the estate)
  •  Five to seven copies of the death certificate


 ODOT Survivor Benefits Liaision Contact Numbers

District/Central Office Office/Contact Name Phone Number
District 1 Personnel Office 419-222-9055, ext. 249
District 2 Personnel Office 419-353-8131, ext. 373-4421
District 3 Personnel Office 800-246-4188, ext. 207-7106
District 4 Personnel Office 800-603-1054, ext. 786-2212
District 5 Personnel Office 740-323-5161, ext. 5161
District 6 Personnel Office 800-372-7714, ext. 284
District 7 Personnel Office 937-497-6821
District 8 Personnel Office 800-831-2142, ext. 329
District 9 Personnel Office 888-819-8501, ext. 375
District 10 Personnel Office 800-845-0226, ext. 774-8860
District 11 Personnel Office 330-339-6633, ext. 3919
District 12 Personnel Office 216-581-2100, ext. 255
Central Office Rhonda Anderson 614-466-3353
Central Office Nichole Younkin 614-466-3353
Central office Renee Szymanski 614-466-3353

 Life Insurance Information


Guaranteed benefit for full-time or part-time permanent employees with at least 1 year of continuous state service.

  • Exempt employees - administered by the Department of Administrative Services

614-466-8857  or 800-409-1205

  • Bargaining Unit Employees - administered by the OCSEA Benefits Trust



 Ohio Deferred Compensation


Pre-tax retirement savings purchased separately through payroll deduction.  Will need copy of death certificate and deceased's social security number or policy number.

  • Customer Service




 COBRA Information


Survivors are eligible to continue medical, dental and vision coverage for up to 36 months upon payment of the premiums.

  • All employees



 Federal Benefits


The following links are being provided for the convience of the survivors.  The Ohio Department of Transportation does not administer or assist with obtaining benefits from these federal programs.

  • Social Security


  • Veterans Affairs



 Supplemental Life Insurance


Additional insurance purchased through payroll deduction.  A copy of the death certificate is needed along with the deceased's policy number.

  • Exempt employees - administered by Prudential


  • Bargaining Unit Employees - administered by OCSEA Benefits Trust



Customer Service in Columbus Georgia - 800-992-3522

LaMont Hardiman - 614-579-1518


 State Transportation Employees Credit Union


Need copy of deceased's death certificate.  Call or email:

614-466-4988 / 800-434-7300


 Public Employees Retirement Death Benefits


Retirement, disability and survivor benefits for state employees.



 Workers Compensation


If the employee's death was a result of a workers comp injury, please contact the individual listed below.  Items needed are: certified death certificate, marriage license/divorce decree, birth certificates of minor children.

  • Linda Riebel, Office of Workers Compensation