Every Move you Make, Keep it Safe:
Visit the Every Move you Make, Keep it Safe Roadway Safety campaign. This campaign includes Safe Routes to School as well as Roadway Safety.
Check out the new lesson guides page. www.everymove.ohio.gov
What is Safe Routes to School:
The goal of Ohio's Safe Routes to School Program is to assist communities in developing and implementing projects and programs that encourage and enable children in grades k-8, including those with disabilities to walk or bike to school safely.
Successful Safe Routes to School programs include an integrated approach that addresses all 5 E’s of the program:
- Engineering – Creating operational and physical improvements to the infrastructure within 2 miles of schools which include children in grades K-8, improvements will reduce speeds and potential conflicts with motor vehicle traffic, and establish safer and fully accessible crossings, walkways, trails and bikeways.
- Education – Teaching children and care givers about transportation choices, instructing them in lifelong bicycling and walking safety skills, and launching driver safety campaigns.
- Enforcement – Partnering with local law enforcement to ensure traffic laws are enforced in the vicinity of schools (this includes enforcement of speeds, yielding to pedestrians in crossings, and proper walking and bicycling behaviors), and initiating community enforcement such as crossing guard programs.
- Encouragement – Using events and activities to promote walking and bicycling.
- Evaluation – Monitoring and documenting outcomes and trends through the collection of data, including the collection of data before and after the intervention(s).
Local and regional governments, schools and community non-profit organizations ready, willing and able to implement SRTS initiatives are eligible to apply for funding. Funding is reimbursable and may be awarded at 100%.
Ohio requires communities to develop a School Travel Plan.
Funding is also available for planning activities.
The next application cycle for Ohio SRTS projects will be from January to March 2012.
Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users Act (SAFETEA-LU) Section(s): 1101(a), 1404