Ohio.gov State Agencies  |  Online Services
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
Research, Development & Technology Transfer (RD&T2)
Manual of Procedures

Chapter 1 - General

1.6 FUNDING

Title 23 of the United States Code, Section 505 requires a minimum of 25% of the state's federal aid highway apportionment of SP&R (State Planning and Research) funds must be spent on research, development, and technology transfer activities. This portion is commonly referred to as SP&R Part 2 funds. The other 75% (referred to as Part 1 funds) is typically used for planning studies, although these funds have been made available from time to time to provide additional support to high priority research projects.

Scenarios for the funding of research include:

  • Federal monies with state matching dollars, typically in the ratio of 80% federal to 20% state funds.
  • 100% state funded projects.
  • 100% federally funded pass through projects, where ODOT administers the projects. Examples include Innovative Bridge Research and Deployment (IBRD) projects.
  • Varying participation in pooled fund projects according to the number of participants and/or individual project agreements.
  • Varying participation may come from other agencies and industry partners.
  • NCHRP: The State departments of transportation are the primary sponsors of the NCHRP. Support is voluntary and funds are drawn from the States' Federal Aid Highway apportionment of SP&R funds. Each State's allocation amounts to 5 ½ % of its SP&R apportionment and is set forth in supplementary tables issued with each year's Federal aid highway apportionments. The funds can be spent only for the administration of projects approved on ballot by at least two-thirds of the States, as represented by the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Standing Committee on Research (SCOR).
  • UTCs: UTCs requiring matching funds may solicit State departments of transportation for support through the SP&R program. ODOT reviews UTC projects for applicability and potential benefits to Ohio and provides matching funds on a project-by-project basis.