A 21st century transportation system requires all modes to work in concert with each other including rail freight and maritime. The objectives of this unit are to look at new ways to integrate and take advantage of Ohio’s vast resources in moving goods within and through Ohio to support a global economy.
- Ohio is 8th in the nation for total water tonnage moved.
- Ohio's maritime ports and river terminals handle over 103 million tons of commodities valued at $11 billion worth of cargo per year.
- The Lake Erie System is responsible for 40.6 million tons of commodities valued at $3.6 billion moving to, from and within Ohio.
- The Ohio River system is responsible for 63 million tons of commodities valued at $7.4 billion moving to, from and within Ohio.
- Ohio's Lake Erie and Ohio River ferry boat lines move over one and half million passengers along with hundreds of thousands of freight tons of cargo per year.