A 21st century transportation system requires all modes to work in concert with each other including rail freight and maritime. The objectives of ODOT's Maritime & Freight Program are to look at new ways to integrate and take advantage of Ohio’s vast resources in moving goods within and through Ohio to support a global economy.
- Ohio is 8th in the nation for total water tonnage moved.
- Ohio's maritime ports and river terminals handle over 103 million tons of commodities valued at $11 billion worth of cargo per year.
- The Lake Erie System is responsible for 40.6 million tons of commodities valued at $3.6 billion moving to, from and within Ohio.
- The Ohio River system is responsible for 63 million tons of commodities valued at $7.4 billion moving to, from and within Ohio.
- Ohio's Lake Erie and Ohio River ferry boat lines move over one and half million passengers along with hundreds of thousands of freight tons of cargo per year.
Below is a copy of Ohio's Freight Plan, Transport Ohio. Additionally, ODOT's Maritime Strategy can be found here.