Ohio.gov State Agencies  |  Online Services
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Specialized Transportation Program



Name of Program: Specialized Transportation Program, as authorized by the Federal Transit Administration, 49 USC Section 5310.

Funding: Federal Transit Administration appropriation information is available on FTA's Funding and Finance page. 

Program Goal and Brief Description: This program is intended to enhance mobility for seniors and persons with disabilities by providing Federal Transit Administration funds for programs in small urbanized and rural areas that serve the special needs of transit-dependent populations beyond traditional public transportation services and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) complementary paratransit services. The program provides 80% of the cost of capital projects; the remaining 20% must be provided by local funding, which may be derived from other federal (non-U.S. DOT) transportation sources or the Federal Lands Highway Program.

Who Can Apply? Nonprofit (501(c)(3)) organizations, local public agencies identified by the state as lead agencies in a coordination project, or local public agencies certifying that no nonprofit organizations exist within their jurisdiction to carry out public transportation projects to meet the special needs of seniors and individuals with disabilities.

Application Process: Funds are available each Federal Fiscal Year and are distributed through a competitive application process. There are two types of applicants - those from small urbanized areas and those from rural areas. Certain responsibilities are assigned to the eight small urban Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs). ODOT has established the eligibility requirements to be used for all applicants. Each small urban MPO may establish additional eligibility requirements and deadlines to fit its urbanized area's needs so long as such requirements and deadlines are not less restrictive than ODOT's.


 SFY 2015 Specialized Transportation Program


 SFY 2014 Specialized Transportation Program


 Forms and Templates

DBE Determination WorksheetExcel Workbook
Driver ManifestExcel Workbook
Trip Denial LogExcel Workbook
Vehicle ComplaintWord Document
5310 Disposition Request TemplateWord Document
2015 Specialized Transportation Program Application - CertificationPDF
2015 Specialized Transportation Program Application - Certification of Public BodyPDF
2015 Specialized Transportation Program Application - Certifications and AssurancesPDF
2015 Specialized Transportation Program Application - Local Match CertificationPDF
2015 Specialized Transportation Program Application - Self-CertificationPDF
Specialized Transportation Program Vehicle Monitoring ReportOnline
Mobility Management Project Report (2015)Online
Mobility Management Quarterly Invoice and Budget VarianceExcel Workbook
Quarterly Invoice and Budget Variance Analysis InstructionsPDF
Mobility Management Project Crosswalk - Agency's Accounts to ODOT InvoiceExcel Workbook
Transit System Audit MaterialsOnline
Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE)Online
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR)Online
Safety and SecurityOnline
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) - Information from FTAOnline
Title VI - Information from FTAOnline
Charter RegulationsOnline
Vehicle Catalog and Selection GuidePDF
FTA’s Charter Regulations: A Compliance Guide for Ohio’s Public Transit SystemsPDF
Preventive Maintenance, A Guide toPDF
Interstate Passenger Transportation Regulations, ODOT Guide to Compliance withPDF
Policies and Procedures, Model/Suggested/ExampleWord Document
Lending LibraryOnline
RESNA Standards Committee on Wheelchairs and Transportation (WHAT) - Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA)Online
Ride Safe - Information to help you travel more safely in motor vehicles while seated in your wheelchair.Online
1 - 30Next

 Program Resources


 Past Awards


 Projects Primarily Serving Residents of Large Urban Areas


​Each large urban area receives its own apportionment of Section 5310 funding from the Federal Transit Administration. Therefore, projects primarily serving residents of one or more large urban areas are not eligible for ODOT's Specialized Transportation Program.

The Governor designates one or more recipients of Section 5310 funding in each large urban area, and each Designated Recipient operates its own program for awarding Section 5310 funds.

Although urban area boundaries do not follow county boundaries, ODOT considers the entirety of each county listed below to be "large urban". Applicants with projects primarily serving the residents of one or more of these counties should contact the Designated Recipient of Section 5310 funds in these counties for more information on how to apply for funding.




Skip Dunkle
Transit Manager
(614) 466-7456