ODOT, FAA Partner with Local Airports to Help Ohio Fly Higher
Seven public meetings to seek ideas to improve Ohio’s general aviation airports
COLUMBUS (Friday, September 6, 2013) – The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) are working to make limited dollars for general aviation in Ohio go further. In doing so they are seeking out the opinions of Ohioan’s statewide.
ODOT is hosting seven public meetings between Sept. 10 and 19 to provide Ohio’s 97 publicly-owned general aviation airports and their local communities an opportunity to share their ideas.
In 2012, the FAA invested approximately $26 million in Ohio’s general aviation airports, and ODOT issued approximately $725,000 in grant funding, however, these combined funds addressed only a fraction of the requested needs.
The ODOT-led Ohio Airports Focus Study, which kicked-off last September, is identifying what types of airport services are provided throughout Ohio today, and what gaps need to be filled in the future. This system wide look will ensure Ohioans have convenient access to a variety of aviation services – and provide ODOT and FAA another tool in deciding how to spend limited grant funds.
“Budgets are tight these days and we are all making decisions about how to get the most out of every dollar we spend,” said ODOT Aviation Administrator James Bryant. “Airports are no different, and we are eager to hear ideas from airport operators and local officials on how best to improve the future of aviation in Ohio.”
The public meetings will take place:
· Tuesday, September 10, 2 – 4 pm at the Pike County Government Center, Rooms 104 & 105, 230 Waverly Plaza, Waverly, OH 45690
· Thursday, September 12, 2 – 4 pm at the Brecksville Community Center, Rooms A, B & C, 1 Community Drive, Brecksville, OH 44141
· Friday, September 13, 10 am - noon at Zane State College, Rooms 529 & 530, Willett-Pratt Training Center, 9900 Brick Church Road, Cambridge, OH 43275
· Monday, September 16, 2 - 4 pm at the Delaware Community Center YMCA, Community Room, 1121 South Houk Road, Delaware, OH 43015
· Tuesday, September 17, 2 - 4 pm at Avetec, Main Conference Room, 4170 Allium Court, Springfield, OH 45505
· Wednesday, September 18, 2 – 4 pm at the Findlay Inn and Conference Center, Fort Findlay Room, 200 East Main Cross, Findlay, OH 45840
· Thursday, September 19, 2 - 4 pm at the Warren County Career Center, Commons Area, 3525 North State Route 48, Lebanon, OH 45036