High Wind Update 1:30pm
BOWLING GREEN (Monday, November 24 2014) - The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) District Two announces the following closures:
The intersection of SR 163 and SR 420 is closed due to downed power lines. Suggested alternate route: US 20; I-75; SR 795.
US 6 at TR 3 is closed due to an accident. Detour: SR 110; SR 109.
High Wind Driving Safety Tips
· Keep your hands firmly on the wheel.
· Make steering corrections when driving from wind-protected areas to unprotected areas. The wind may suddenly move your car when traveling from a protected to unprotected area.
· Be aware of and maintain safe distances from other vehicles near you, particularly RVs, campers, trucks, buses, or trailers being towed. These vehicles could swing out and hit your car in sudden wind gusts.
· Take extra care in a high-profile vehicle such as trucks, vans, SUVs, or when towing a trailer, as these are more prone to being pushed or flipped by high winds.
Watch for objects that could potentially blow into the roadway. Tree limbs may break and/or other debris may come loose during strong winds.
· Listen to the radio for changes in weather conditions that could create more dangerous driving.
· If winds are severe enough to prevent safe driving, pull over into a safe parking area (the shoulder of a busy roadway is not safe) and stop, making sure you are away from trees, power lines or other tall objects that could fall onto your vehicle.
In the event of downed power lines:
· Never drive over downed power lines. Even if they have been knocked over by the wind, high-voltage wires may still be alive and very dangerous.
· Avoid anything that may be touching downed lines, including vehicles or tree branches.
· Report downed lines to your local utility emergency center and to the police.