State Route 16 – State Route 541 Interchange
The project is designed to address deficient bridge conditions on the bridges spanning the Muskingum River (COS-541-19.30) and State Route 16 (COS-541-19.18). The project will include the replacement of the bridge deck on the structure spanning the Muskingum River and replacement of the structure spanning State Route 16. The project will also include the reconfiguration of the interchange to a tight-diamond interchange.
Project Goals and Objectives
While the purpose and need of the project is to address deficient bridge conditions; the goals and objectives of the project include the following:
1. Improve interchange and roadway geometrics within the interchange area.
2. Improve traffic and pedestrian flows around the interchange area.
3. Support long term local planning initiatives and support economic growth for the Central Ohio Technical College Coshocton Campus and Roscoe Village.
The preferred alternative will provide the following improvements:
1. Replace the bridge deck on the structure spanning the Muskingum River and replace the structure spanning State Route 16.
2. The concrete median on State Route 541 will be removed, which will allow for wider walkways on State Route 541.
3. Removal of loop ramps currently providing access to and from State Route 541. The loops ramps will be replaced directional ramps to reconfigure the interchange to a tight diamond configuration.
4. Signalization of the intersections at the ramp termini.
5. Improved pedestrian treatments along State Route 541 with striping, signing, and signalization of pedestrian crosswalk areas.
Maintenance of Traffic
The construction phase is estimated to span from Spring 2018 to Fall 2019. Proposed impacts to traffic will take place in two phases:
· Phase 1: current westbound lanes on State Route 541 will be closed to traffic and traffic will be shifted onto the current eastbound lanes with one lane each for westbound and eastbound traffic. The northbound on-ramp will be closed for an estimated 14-21 days and the southbound loop on-ramp will be closed for an estimated 60-80 days during this phase for roadway work.
· Phase 2: current eastbound lanes on State Route 541 will be closed to traffic and traffic will be shifted onto the westbound lanes with one lane each for westbound and eastbound traffic. The northbound off-ramp will be closed for a 30-45 day period and the southbound off-ramp will be closed for a 30-45 day period.
Estimated Project Schedule
· Fall 2016 – Public presentations to stakeholders and local community
· Fall 2017 – Project construction plans complete
· Spring 2018 – Construction begins
· Fall 2019 – Construction complete
Questions or Comments?
Heather Gilbert, Project Manager
ODOT District 5
9600 Jacksontown Road SE
Jacksontown, OH 43030
1. Project overview
2. Public Information Meeting Invitation
3. Alternative 1 Roundabout Interchange
4. Alternative 2 Tight Diamond Interchange
5. Conceptual Bridge Renderings
6. Summary of Public Comment and Responses