Future Project at US 33 and Fishinger Road
FRA 33 8.78 PID 101097
The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) proposes to construct improvements along US 33 (Riverside Drive) at the intersection of Fishinger Road in Perry Township, Franklin County, including pavement rehabilitation, drainage & intersection improvements. The project includes construction of a second northbound left turn lane from US 33 to westbound Fishinger Road, a dedicated right turn lane from southbound US 33 to westbound Fishinger Road, two-way left turn lane on US 33 from Nottingham Road north to the dedicated left turn lane, and enhancement to pedestrian facilities. Traffic will be maintained using part-width construction. No detours will be required for this project. Construction is currently scheduled for 2019 and will last approximately 7 months.
The project is adjacent to Griggs Reservoir Park. Approximately 0.35-acres of permanent right-of-way and 0.11-acres of temporary right-of-way (2 locations) will be required from Griggs Reservoir Park for this project. A total of 16 trees will be removed for the project.
Griggs Reservoir Park is a 186-acre park located at 2933 Riverside Drive. As a publicly-owned park, Griggs Reservoir Park is considered a recreational resource under Section 4(f) of the Department of Transportation (DOT) Act of 1966, and is provided protection from adverse impacts due to federal-aid transportation projects. ODOT will implement the following measures to minimize harm to Griggs Reservoir Park:
- Access to Griggs Reservoir Park will be maintained at all times during construction activities.
- The Contractor will not use any park roads for construction access.
- Any trees removed for the project will be replaced according to the City of Columbus Executive Order 2015-01 Branching Out Columbus: 300,000 Trees by 2020.
- The plans will make special note of the Winter and Fall Regatta seasons which utilize this area of Griggs Reservoir Park, to avoid significant roadway closures.
- Temporary construction fencing will be installed along proposed construction limits prior to the start of construction activities to protect the existing 4(f) property and the public.
- Appropriate signage will be installed to alert users of the Park to the temporary closure of the access road.
- No staging and/or storage of construction equipment will occur within the known boundaries of the Section 4(f) property.
- The contractor will be required to closely coordinate the construction schedule with ODOT, city of Columbus Recreation and Parks.
ODOT has coordinated the project’s involvement with the Griggs Reservoir Park with the City of Columbus (the property owner and operator). The City has concurred that the project will not adversely affect the protected recreational activities, features or attributes associated with Griggs Reservoir Park. The proposed project is considered to have a de minimis impact on Griggs Reservoir Park.
Due to the necessary acquisition of land associated with Griggs Reservoir Park, ODOT is seeking public input regarding these effects on Griggs Reservoir Park. Please provide comments to Eric Sainey, by mail at ODOT District 6, 400 East Williams Street, Delaware, OH 43015, by phone at 740-833-8065 or by email at Eric.Sainey@dot.ohio.gov. Comments must be received by February 11, 2017.
The environmental review, consultation, and other actions required by applicable Federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried-out by ODOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated December 11, 2015, and executed by FHWA and ODOT.