For Immediate Release
July 2, 2015
West Side Update
· Crews worked all night building the new temporary road for two lanes of I-70 EB at 270.
· By tomorrow at noon, West Side commuters will be in a new traffic pattern because of yesterday's tanker fire.
· To open two lanes for I-70 EB, a new temporary road will be built that crosses over the median and travels on the westbound side.
· Crews have already started paving and striping the two westbound lanes.
· Concrete barrier will separate I-70 EB and WB.
· The goal is to two lanes of I-70 EB open by Friday at noon.
· Then work will begin on replacing the section of bridge that was damaged in yesterday's fiery crash.
· Repairs to the pavement under the 70 EB bridge are also needed.
· The contractor has 30 days to complete.
· For West Side commuters the best advice is extra commute time and seek alternate routes. From the West Side, take I-70 EB to I-270 SB to I-71 NB or I-70 EB.
ODOT Statement attributable to Director Jerry Wray:
“As we manage the situation on Interstate 70 safety, as always, is ODOT’s top priority. We have a team of bridge and pavement experts on-site to inspect the bridge. Once the extent of damage is known, we will work to re-open the highway as quickly and as safely possible. In the meantime, we are working with the State Highway Patrol and Columbus Police to keep traffic flowing around Columbus as this incident continues to impact areas beyond the immediate crash scene. As more information is available we will communicate updates. Please visit OHGO.com for real-time traffic conditions.”
Wednesday, July 1
6:00 AM – Vehicle fire reported
6:30 AM – ODOT on scene
7:00 AM – I-70 EB/WB at I-270 shut down
7:15 AM – I-270 NB/SB at I-70 shut down
7:30 AM – I-270 NB/SB mainline open, ramps still closed
9:15 AM – ODOT inspectors/engineers on scene
12:15 PM – ODOT Director Wray briefed the media
1:30 PM – Fire Department allowed ODOT to begin inspection
1:30 PM – ODOT began physically inspecting the bridge to determine extent of damage
3:00 PM – ODOT briefed area contractors
4:30 PM – Media briefing on construction timeline
5:45 PM – Two lanes of I-70 WB open at I-270
7:00 PM – Excavation on the “crossover” for I-70 east travel begins
10:30 PM – Media briefing by ODOT Deputy Director Ferzan Ahmed on overnight construction of the temporary road for I-70 east
Thursday, July 2
4:30 AM – Contractor still excavating and building temporary road for I-70 travel