For Immediate Release
July 2, 2015
West Side Update
· Crews continue working around the clock building the “crossover” for the two lanes of I-70 east.
· Drainage pipe was installed under the new temporary roadway so that when it rains, the water will have somewhere to go.
· Paving has already begun on the temporary roadway.
· By Friday at noon, there will be two lanes for both I-70 eastbound and westbound traffic.
· ODOT is expected to award the contract today to replace a section of the bridge and repair the pavement on the ramp underneath I-70 east.
· Alternate routes for I-70 east traffic are available of ODOT’s website and social media sites.
ODOT Statement attributable to Director Jerry Wray:
“As we manage the situation on Interstate 70 safety, as always, is ODOT’s top priority. We have a team of bridge and pavement experts on-site to inspect the bridge. Once the extent of damage is known, we will work to re-open the highway as quickly and as safely possible. In the meantime, we are working with the State Highway Patrol and Columbus Police to keep traffic flowing around Columbus as this incident continues to impact areas beyond the immediate crash scene. As more information is available we will communicate updates. Please visit OHGO.com for real-time traffic conditions.”
Wednesday, July 1
6:00 AM – Vehicle fire reported
6:30 AM – ODOT on scene
7:00 AM – I-70 EB/WB at I-270 shut down
7:15 AM – I-270 NB/SB at I-70 shut down
7:30 AM – I-270 NB/SB mainline open, ramps still closed
9:15 AM – ODOT inspectors/engineers on scene
12:15 PM – ODOT Director Wray briefed the media
1:30 PM – Fire Department allowed ODOT to begin inspection
1:30 PM – ODOT began physically inspecting the bridge to determine extent of damage
3:00 PM – ODOT briefed area contractors
4:30 PM – Media briefing on construction timeline
5:45 PM – I-70 WB open
7:00 PM – Excavation on the “crossover” for I-70 east travel begins
10:30 PM – Media briefing by ODOT Deputy Director Ferzan Ahmed on overnight construction of the temporary road for I-70 east
Thursday, July 2
4:30 AM – Contractor still excavating and building temporary road for I-70 travel
7:00 AM – Media briefing by ODOT Deputy Director Ferzan Ahmed on overnight progress
8:00 AM – ODOT leads first tour of the damaged bridge with the media