For Immediate Release
June 11, 2013
Get Ready for the Traffic Switch on Roberts Road
Reconfiguration Begins Tomorrow
COLUMBUS – (NEW) By tomorrow afternoon, drivers will be shifted into a new traffic pattern at Roberts Road and Interstate 270 on the city’s west side. The traffic shift will allow crews to start construction on the wall at the new interchange.
ODOT is building a diverging diamond interchange at I-270 and Roberts Rd. As its technical name suggests, the interchange would be shaped like a diamond and would reduce congestion and improve traffic flow by:
· Switching traffic to the opposite sides of the road as it passes over the freeway; and
· Constructing entrance ramps to I-270 that are free-flow turns
Tomorrow, here is how motorists will travel safely through the interchange.
· Eastbound Roberts Road traffic will have one through lane over the bridge and a left turn only lane to access I-270 north.
· After the bridge, eastbound traffic will have one lane that is actually on the westbound side of the road.
· Westbound traffic will still have two lanes of travel.
This traffic configuration will be in place until the end of July. That’s when the twin bridges at Roberts Road over I-270 will close., but the ramps at Roberts Road will remain open.
By closing Roberts Road, the contractor will be able to build two new bridges in six months instead of a year or more.
ODOT is investing an estimated $8.7 million to improve safety at I-270 and Roberts Road. The interchange averages just over a hundred crashes a year.
For up-to-date traffic information, construction information and road conditions, 24-hours a day, visit www.OHGO.com