Nelsonville Bypass Phase III Update
NELSONVILLE (Monday, June 13, 2011) – Work on Phase III of the Nelsonville Bypass is on-going.
Crews began working on the larger of the two phases in September of 2009, since then Beaver Excavating and The Ohio Department of Transportation have excavated about 4.5 million cubic yards of the total 6.9 million cubic yards to be moved on the project.
According to ODOT Phase III Project Engineer, Daniel McDonald, crews have also moved a little more than 2.4 million cubic yards of embankment on Phase III.
Phase III includes the unique construction feature of mine grouting to fill old abandoned mine voids.
The abandoned mines need to be filled for safety reasons, according to McDonald.
“To prevent any slippage along the highway, those old mine voids have to be filled,” McDonald said.
As of June 2011, crews have used about 11 percent of the 530,298 cubic yards of grout for the project.
For the remainder of 2011 McDonald says crews will haul about 65,000 cubic yards of embankment across Pleasantview Avenue and are expected to finish the bridges over Elm Rock Road and at the Interchange this year as well.
Beaver Excavating anticipates finishing all of the dirt work and grouting this year, weather permitting.
The expected completion date for Phase III is October 2013.
For more information contact:
Brenna Slavens, Public Information Officer, at (740) 568-3904
or email D10.PIO@dot.state.oh.us