Tuesday, November 29, 2011 – Ohio Department of Transportation District 12 will have crews out overnight in Cuyahoga, Lake & Geauga Counties as a result of forecasted freezing temperatures and snow. We will have 16 snowplows running in Cuyahoga County, 7 in Lake County and 10 in Geauga County.
We are fully stocked with salt and crews will spread it when necessary. Last snow season, ODOT District 12 used more than 80,000 tons of salt on 2,644 lane miles of interstates, highways, routes, ramps & shoulders.
Priority areas include: hills, intersections, ramps & curves.
PROCEED WITH CAUTION – here are some simple driving tips for navigating through snow & ice
- ODOT winter safety reports show a large number of crashes are the result of unsafe speeds and following too closely.
- Brake early, slowly and correctly! Don’t slam on the brakes and give yourself plenty of room to stop.
- When driving on ice & snow, don’t use cruise control and avoid abrupt steering maneuvers.
- When merging into traffic, take it slow. Sudden movements can cause sliding.
- Be alert & aware of what’s going on around you.
- We ask that you give our snowplows plenty of room to work. These skilled men & women will be working hard to keep the roads safe!
KNO B4 U GO: Check out road & weather sensors, as well as current traffic speeds before you hit the road by visiting www.buckeyetraffic.org.
Remember: Ice & Snow…take it SLOW!
For more information contact:
The ODOT District 12 Communications Office at 216.584.2006