Ohio.gov State Agencies  |  Online Services
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In



 Why do I need a permit?

Ohio Law says you must obtain a permit from the Ohio Department of Transportation to use or occupy any portion of a road or highway on the State Highway System. This is in the interest of public safety in addition to complying with the law. You must have a permit to construct a driveway on State Highway right of way to a business or residence from that highway; to discharge surface water by natural flow from roof drains and field tile into State owned drainage systems; or to enter the state right of way to tap existing utilities (gas, water, sewer, telephone, electric) for residence or place of business.

 Right-of-Way Permit Guidelines


 Other Useful Documents


 Oversize Load Applications


 Adopt-A-Highway Program


 Vegetation Maintenance Program


 Right-of-Way Applications


 Contact the District 12 Permit Office


District12Permits@dot.ohio.gov​  -  (216) 584-2195