What type of closures or restrictions should I expect during construction?
During construction three lanes in each direction will be maintained on the bridge. Traffic is maintained utilizing a "Contraflow" traffic pattern. Motorists heading north on I-77 have two lanes on the northbound side of I-77 while the third lane crosses over onto the southbound side of I-77.
Portable concrete barriers are used to separate north and southbound traffic while one or more lanes are shifted onto the opposite side of the highway.
This configuration allows the contractor to have full access to a safe work zone during all phases of construction.
Thru late fall 2015, the I-480 eastbound exit ramp to I-77 northbound is closed. I-480 eastbound motorists are detoured via SR 176 northbound to I-490 eastbound to I-77.
Also thru late fall 2015, the I-480 westbound ramp to I-77 northbound is reduced to one lane to help improve traffic flow on I-77. Motorists will be encouraged to use SR 176 northbound to I-490 eastbound to I-77 to avoid any congestion on this ramp.
Check out the video below to see how easy it is to detour around this ramp closure.
Is the speed limit be reduced?
Yes, during construction the speed limit in the work zone is 50 mph and is strictly enforced.
What is the timeline of this project?
· In 2014, crews replaced the southbound bridge deck using three traffic phases.
· In 2015, crews will replace the northbound bridge deck using three traffic phases.
Will this work take place during the winter months?
No, from early-November through mid-March all lanes and ramps will be open and in their normal configuration.
What alternate routes can I use to avoid this project?
· I-480 east and westbound motorists are encouraged to use SR 176 northbound to I-490 eastbound to I-77.
· I-77 northbound motorists can use I-480 westbound to SR 176 northbound to I-490 eastbound to I-77.
· I-77 southbound motorists can use I-490 westbound to SR 176 southbound to I-480.
How can I get updates about the project?
Sign up today here to receive email updates. Select the I-77 and I-480 updates list to receive all up-to-date information straight to your inbox.