For informational/historical purposes only.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"The Expo provides them the chance to research and educate themselves about products that will best suit their needs."

-Jerry Wray, ODOT Director

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 7, 1998
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS

ODOT HOSTS PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION EXPO

COLUMBUS – Director Jerry Wray today announced ODOT’s Office of Public Transportation will host the 1998 Transit Vehicle Expo on April 14. This year’s Expo will feature vehicles available through ODOT’s Specialized Transportation Program. Vendors and manufacturers’ representatives will be available to answer questions and demonstrate equipment.

"The Expo is an opportunity for human service agencies, transit systems and other public entities to obtain valuable information about the Specialized Transportation Program," said Wray. "Organizations are continually competing for available funding and must maximize the potential of the money they receive. The Expo provides them the chance to research and educate themselves about products that will best suit their needs."

Manufacturers’ representatives of transit seats, wheelchair lifts, wheelchair securement systems, and transit scheduling and dispatching software will also provide information regarding their products at the Expo.

The Specialized Transportation Program provides grants to meet the special needs of elderly persons and persons with disabilities where existing transportation services are unavailable or insufficient. Eligible applicants for the program are private nonprofit organizations and public bodies approved by the state to coordinate services or which certify to ODOT that no private nonprofit corporations are readily available in their area to provide the service.

In 1998 ODOT has allocated more than $3.1 million to the Specialized Transportation Program. These federal funds can provide up to 80 percent of the cost of capital items; the remaining 20 percent must be provided from a local, nonfederal source. Eligible equipment includes vehicles ranging from standard minivans to small buses and computer hardware and software.

The Expo is open to the public and will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio at the Columbus Convention Center, 400 North High Street, Exhibit Hall C.