Sidewalks on bridges are predominately constructed of reinforced concrete, however some are constructed of steel
"checkerplate". This Manual will only discuss concrete sidewalks. Concrete sidewalks crack and deteriorate
in much the same as concrete decks, and therefore most of the same preventive maintenance activities mentioned above for decks will apply for
- Sweep and power wash at least once per year, preferably after the last application of deicing chemicals.
- Seal with silane or siloxane type sealers.
- Epoxy/urethane sealers can be used, but last coat of urethane should be "seeded" with sand or other type of grit before it dries to provide skid resistance.
- Treat cracks with high molecular weight
methacrylate ( HMWM) before applying sealers.
- Watch for trip hazards and correct expeditiously (see Repair section of this Manual)