Questions regarding Ohio Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements and credits for licensed Professional Engineers and Surveyors
In recent years, Ohio LTAP has occasionally received the following questions (or similar variations) from its customers.
Do any of the workshops/courses offered by Ohio LTAP “qualify” for CPD credit for licensed Professional Engineers or Surveyors?
Unfortunately, there is not a quick and simple answer to this question. However, the following information should be helpful as a general guideline.
- The State of Ohio Engineers and Surveyors Board does not pre-approve CPD courses or CPD providers.
- Ohio LTAP does not make the determination as to whether or not any of its workshops or courses might qualify for CPD credit.
- Each licensed professional engineer/surveyor is responsible for making sure that the courses they take for CPD credit meet the CPD requirements. The Continuing Education / Frequently Asked Questions page of the Engineers and Surveyors Board website ( http://www.peps.ohio.gov/ ) states the following:
There are three basic questions that will help you judge if a course is acceptable.
1 Is the activity, course or seminar relevant to the practice of engineering or surveying and does it include technical, ethical or managerial content?
2 Is the provider of the course, seminar or activity reputable and one that can demonstrate knowledge and expertise on the subject matter?
3 Does the provider supply a course outline and a record of attendance?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then the courses will likely meet Ohio's CPD requirement.
If you are trying to make a determination about a particular Ohio LTAP workshop or course with regard to possible CPD credit, please carefully read the announcement flyer, particularly the sections listing the Description, Agenda and Instructor(s).
If I attend the entire duration of a workshop/course offered through Ohio LTAP, will I receive some type of documentation that I attended?
Yes. At the end of our regular LTAP workshops/courses, attendees receive an attendance certificate that lists their name (if they pre-registered) and the topic, date, and number of hours of training completed. Please note:
- Ohio LTAP occasionally facilitates workshops/courses taught by external training providers that issue their own attendance certificates. These typically contain similar information as described for the LTAP certificates.
- An exception is that Ohio LTAP does not issue attendance certificates for the abbreviated "Circuit Rider" classes (2 to 3 hours) that are provided on-site at local agency facilties.
We hope this information helps to address any questions you may have had regarding workshops/courses offered by Ohio LTAP. Again, the ultimate responsibility rests with each licensed professional engineer or surveyor to select appropriate courses or activities for CPD credit. Please refer to the Engineers and Surveyors Board website ( http://www.peps.ohio.gov/ ) for detailed information regarding CPD requirements.
Originally posted - January 2007; most recently updated - September 2014.