ORIL Research Ideas Solicitation
Do you have a problem you need solved? Is there a topic you would like to know more about? Ever wondered how your colleagues are dealing with a particular issue and what the best practices for handling it could be? All of these (and more) could be addressed through research!
Ohio’s Research Initiative for Locals (ORIL) is now accepting research ideas for consideration for the upcoming FY2019 program.
If you are a representative for a village, township, city, county, MPO or RPO, you can submit an idea to ORIL. The ORIL Board will review all ideas submitted and select those that propose the biggest benefit for Ohio. Selected ideas will be developed into Requests for Proposals, which will be posted for response from the transportation research community in March 2018. Research projects may begin any time after July 2018.
To Submit An Idea:
- Complete an online application by clicking here.
- Submit by November 9, 2017.
Requirements for Consideration:
- Ideas must be submitted by a representative of a local public agency.
- Ideas must be related to transportation issues. (See “NOTE” below.)
- Ideas must be responsive to at least one of the research focus areas identified in the ORIL Strategic Research Plan: Safety, Renewal/Infrastructure, and Operations & Business Practices.
- Ideas must be received by the deadline (November 9, 2017).
Have an idea for a project
but aren't sure if you want to submit it to the Board?
Not a representative of a local public agency, but want to provide input on potential research projects?
Check out the ORIL FAQ page for answers to frequently asked questions. Current topics include how ORIL funding works, where the funding comes from, what is required of individuals whose ideas are selected, and more. For more information on the ORIL program, how it works, and details on the criteria used by the ORIL Board to select the ideas, check out the ORIL Guidebook. To learn more about the research currently being funding by ORIL, check out the ORIL Project Site
If you have a question about ORIL or need help submitting an idea, please email: ORIL@dot.ohio.gov contact Vicky Fout (614-466-3029), Michelle Lucas (614-644-8135) or Mike Fitch (614-387-7358).
NOTE: ORIL funding is currently provided through the State Planning & Research Part 2 Program, which carries the following eligibility criteria: According to 23USC505, SP&R2 funds may only be used to support two specific activities:
(5) Research, development, and technology transfer activities necessary in connection with the planning, design, construction, management, and maintenance of highway, public transportation, and intermodal transportation systems.
(6) Study, research, and training on the engineering standards and construction materials for transportation systems described in paragraph (5), including the evaluation and accreditation of inspection and testing and the regulation and taxation of their use.